One can possess a weapon and not use it in an illegal manner. In Louisiana state, there are different penalties for possessing a weapon and using it. The illegal use of weapons is a very serious offense in Gretna, Metairie, and Kenner and it is punishable before the law. In essence, when you own a weapon and you use it in the wrong way, it is a felony offense. Gun charges differ from state to state. Therefore, if you are a resident in any state, you need to know the laws, rules, and regulations guiding them.
According to the Louisiana statutes in La RS 14:94, illegal use of weapons is when a person knowingly discharges any form of a firearm or places any firearm or liquid in a place where it can cause serious harm to other people. It is a very serious crime as it can lead to serious harm or death.
Laws Guiding Illegal Use Of Weapons In Gretna
Louisiana State has strict rules guiding its citizens on the illegal use of weapons. According to the law, you can be charged for the crime if you intentionally or knowingly do the following:
- Discharge any type of firearm in a public place that could result in injuries
- Place a weapon on a highway and make it dangerous for people
- Display a weapon in a way that people feel threatened
- Discharge or place any type of harmful liquid in an area where it can harm others
- Recklessly and carelessly fire a gun one thousand feet away from a public place
- Throw a weapon from a vehicle
If all these and more are done, a person can be arrested and charged to court for the crime of illegal use of weapons. However, this rule may not apply to law officers who use weapons most times to carry out their duty. It can be considered legal if they possess weapons.
What Situations Can Make Me Get Punished For Illegal Use Of Weapons In Gretna?
The situations have already been mentioned above. They are contained in the Louisiana State Statutes and are regarded as situations whereby one can be arrested and charged for the crime.
The thing is you should not possess a weapon without a permit, talk more of using it. If found, you will have to face repercussions. The penalty for it is quite heavy and no one wants to go through that. What are the penalties?
Penalties For The Illegal Use Of Weapons In Gretna
Any charge that involves a gun or any weapon is a serious one. Why is this? It is because the carrier may carry the weapons in a way that would harm other people. Therefore, the charges for illegal use of weapons are severe.
- If you are ever convicted of illegal use of weapons in Gretna, you will be fined not in excess of 1000 dollars or be jailed for not more than two years with or without hard labor or both. If you get a good lawyer, however, it can affect your sentence massively.
- On a second or following conviction, the offender will be imprisoned for not less than five years and not more than seven years. There will be no probation or parole. The offender will also not be able to have a suspension of the sentence.
- You should know that if the length of time between your first and second conviction is five years, the court will count it as a first conviction.
Another thing to know concerning the penalties for this case is that the lawyer you get can influence your penalty. How? If you get a good lawyer, he or she may be able to apply negotiation skills and get the court to reduce your charges. In essence, this means that if you are charged with this crime, getting a professional legal attorney is the best thing to do.
What Do I Do If Charged With Illegal Use Of Weapons In Gretna?
If you have been arrested and charged with illegal use of weapons in Gretna, you don’t need to fret. Rather, you have to do all it takes to help your situation. The first step is to get legal help by contacting a lawyer. No matter how small you think your case is, a good lawyer can make all the difference you need. Therefore, you should understand the effects of getting legal help.
The first thing you should do after being charged is to get a good lawyer who will help you with all your judicial proceedings. Here’s what a lawyer will do:
- Help you understand the severity of your crime
- Help you come up with possible defense mechanisms for your case
- Give your professional advice
Besides, a good lawyer will know exactly how gun charges work in your state and be able to use it for your case.
Get Legal Help
If you have been arrested and charged with illegal use of weapons, you should get legal help. The criminal lawyers at the Barkemeyer Law Firm have a lot of experience in helping clients deal with their cases. Facing an illegal use of in Jefferson Parish can be quite critical as there are severe penalties. Therefore, a good lawyer will help your case a lot.
The Barkemeyer Law Firm will follow up your case aggressively and handle it professionally, to get you reduced charges. We do all we can to give you an edge over the court by applying any possible defense mechanism as long as it relates to your crime. The criminal law firm knows how the law works in Gretna and Louisiana as a whole. As such, we apply those laws and relate them with your crime. In this way, we will find a way to get you reduced charges by negotiating with the court.