With the internet available to over a billion users, anything is possible. This is because information can be accessed over the internet. In this way, identity theft is one of the top crimes in Louisiana today. It is a very serious offense and it is punishable by law. It may be to commit an offense, defraud other people, or to gain favor. Whichever one it is, if you are charged, you will need the help of a criminal defense attorney. We can help.
Laws Guiding Identity Theft In Gretna
In Gretna, there are different laws, rules, and regulations guiding how people relate with each other. It also helps to keep crime in check while also protecting the lives of citizens. As such, Gretna has rules guiding identity theft.
According to the Louisiana state statutes, RS 14:67, identity theft refers to a situation where a person knowingly and intentionally uses another person’s identity to possess, obtain, or transfer without consent. Of course, you don’t just steal the identity of someone else without a reason.
Also, consent plays a significant role in this case. If you obtain permission or seek consent before an identity theft, it is a different matter. However, it is very rare as most people who are charged with identity theft crimes do not seek consent.
What Situations Can Make Me Get Punished For Identity Theft In Gretna?
Identity theft is one very serious crime because the after-effects bring a lot of damage to the victim. Different kinds of damages can be done and the worst is when the victim is left with a bad credit history. This is why one needs to take immediate action when you find out that your identity has been stolen.
Different situations can make you get punished for identity theft in Gretna. Here they are:
- Telephone fraud
- Credit card scam
- Wallet or purse theft
- Hacking someone’s private information
- Internet fraud, and so on.
What Are The Penalties For Identity Theft In Gretna?
The penalties for identity theft in Gretna depend on the severity of the crime and the damage that has been done. As you know, stealing the identity of someone else with the intent to defraud or gain something is a serious offense. Before you can be pronounced guilty of identity theft, it needs to be proven that your actions were intentional and that you didn’t seek consent.
Here are the penalties for identity theft in Gretna depending on the crime severity:
- If the value of what was taken with the stolen identity is up to one thousand dollars, then the offender will be sent to jail for not more than ten years with or without hard labor or will be required to pay a fine of not in excess of ten thousand dollars or both.
- If the victim of stolen identity is over sixty years or is disabled and the worth of stolen items is up to ok thousand dollars, the offender is going to serve a jail sentence of not less than three years and not more than ten years without or with hard labor and will or will not pay a fine of not more than 10000 dollars or both.
- If the victim is not up to eighteen but the value of stolen items is up to one thousand dollars, then the offender will serve a jail sentence of not less than three years and not more than ten years with/without hard labor and may pay a fine of not more than 10000 dollars or both.
- If the value of stolen items is up to five hundred dollars, then the offender is to serve a jail sentence of not more than five years with or without hard labor and may pay a fine of not more than 5000 dollars or both.
- On a third conviction, the offender will serve a jail sentence of not more than ten years with or without hard labor or may pay a fine not exceeding twenty thousand dollars or both.
In addition to the penalty given to the offender, he or she has to make full restitution to the person whose identity was stolen.
What Do I Do If I Am Charged With An Identity Theft Crime In Gretna?
Being charged with identity theft can hugely damage your reputation. Therefore, you need a good criminal defense attorney to help you with your case. A professional lawyer will know how well to represent you in court, bearing in mind the laws of the state.
If you are charged with an identity theft crime in Gretna, the best thing to do is to hire a professional lawyer.
How Will An Identity Theft Lawyer Help Your Case?
An identity theft lawyer has the experience and expertise to help you with all your judicial proceedings. Your lawyer will also let you know your rights while your case is still ongoing. He or she will let you know the severity of your crime while also giving you legal advice. In all, a good lawyer will communicate well with other legal entities to help your case.
Get Legal Help
If you are in or around Gretna and you need a great criminal lawyer to represent you in court as regards your identity theft case, contact the Barkemeyer Law Firm today.
The Barkemeyer Law Firm has well-experienced criminal lawyers who know the Louisiana State laws on identity theft. We aim to use our expertise to give you reduced charges and to also protect your image and reputation. We have several years of experience in helping people with their identity theft cases.
3900 N. Causeway Blvd., Suite 1200
Metairie, LA 70002