Filing false records is taken very seriously and met with serious punishment in Jefferson Parish. This crime involves falsifying a public record or filing a forged document to a public office.
The state statute makes it a crime to intentionally file, register, or record a falsified or forged record with a government or public office. You can be arrested and charged for filing or registering any kind of false or forged record in Jefferson Parish.
Laws Guiding Filing False Public Records Law In Jefferson Parish
- La RS 14:133 states that filing records for any public official or maintaining a document with the knowledge of its falsity is punishable under the law. Documents regarded as false documents according to this statute include; a forged document, a wrongfully altered document, or a counterfeit document or document containing a false representation of a fact.
- Participation in document fraud for a public record is a violation of the statute guiding Jefferson Parish.
- Forging or falsifying any document to fulfill a requirement in order to obtain a benefit is a criminal offense punishable by the law.
- Knowingly accepting or receiving any false document in a public record for the benefit of the possessor is a criminal offense in Jefferson Parish.
What Situations Can Make Me Get Punished For Filing False Public Records Law In Jefferson Parish?
- A remodeler, angry with his client decides to file a fake mechanic’s lien with the County Clerk when the client doesn’t actually owe him. If the remodeler is then found out, he is convicted for filing false public records.
- A fishing boat owner decides to file false fishing exercise records with the state Department of Fish and Wildlife in a bid to cut down on tax payment or other selfish reasons.
- A son who forges a Notarized Deed transferring the ownership of his elderly father’s house to himself and files the document with the Parish Clerk.
- A public officer submitting a falsified record to get an excess public allocation from the State Department of Finance.
- The act of altering important information or document useful for a criminal investigation.
What Type of Records or Documents Can Be Falsified?
There are various records and documents that are often filed in a public office. These include Identification cards, tax returns, personal checks, academic transcripts, birth certificates, or bank records.
Any of these documents can be altered or falsified for selfish benefits. For instance, changing academic grades, forging a check, or altering the figures on a business record. Also, using the letterhead of a private or public establishment without permission. All these acts of falsification are considered unlawful.
What Are The Possible Penalties For Filing False public Records in Jefferson Parish?
Anyone who commits a crime of filing false public records in Jefferson Parish shall be imprisoned for up to 5 years with or without hard labor or made to pay a fine of up to $5,000, or both.
In addition to the sentencing, the offender may be ordered to pay restitution to the state if the state suffered a loss due to the offense. Restitution to the state shall include payment of legal interest.
Can A Crime of Filing False Public Record Be Defended?
There is no crime that can’t be defended in court. Everyone has the right to defense; therefore, your case can be defended. All you need to do is hire a skilled and competent lawyer in Jefferson Parish. A competent lawyer understands the ropes of this crime and can strategically defend you.
No two cases are alike, so you are required to fill your lawyer with the details of your case so that he can craft a defense to suit your crime. Having a lawyer can go a long way in making your case easier. Your lawyer will ensure that your case is treated with all leniency. He negotiates when needed and defends when needed. Also, If there are false evidence against you, your lawyer fights to nullify them.
No matter how big or small your crime may seem to you, it can be defended. So, we advise that you do not overrule the place of a defense lawyer in your case. Take immediate action by talking to a lawyer as soon as possible.
How Can A Crime Of Filing False Public Record Affect Me?
A crime of filing false public records can affect your present and future. It can get you thrown out of a job if you are found guilty, which is why it important that you hire a lawyer to prove your innocence.
Also, having a record of this crime on your background can catch up with you and haunt you. It can make people question your character and reputation. You are advised to do all it takes to prevent it. And all it takes is a competent defense attorney to represent and defend you. Barkemeyer Law Firm can provide you the representation and defense it takes.
Metairie Criminal Defense Attorney
When you are facing a Filing False public Records crime, you need legal help so that you won’t break down or get overwhelmed. We want to sit with you, discuss, and plan your defense with you.
Barkemeyer Law Firm is a criminal defense law firm that is committed to defending people with cases like this. We have long years of experience dealing with criminal cases in the areas of Jefferson Parish and beyond, so you can be certain that we know how best to deal with your case.
3900 N. Causeway Blvd., Suite 1200
Metairie, LA 70002