How To Tell If A Teenager Is On Drugs
In today’s world, when more and more people are getting on drugs at young ages, it is important to know how to tell if a teenager is on drugs. And if you have children, you may wondering how to tell if your teen is on drugs as well. In today’s world, teens are exposed to innumerable substances. However, teenager years are categorized by a reluctancy to speak openly to parents.
Unfortunately, it is not always easy to know if a teenager is on drugs. In addition to this, many times by the time you are aware of the fact your teen will be slapped with a DWI or drug charges. In situations like this, parents often reflect on the blatant warning signs they may have missed.
Luckily, there are some significant red flags to be aware of if someone is using drugs, especially a teenager. Once you learn these warning signs, it is much easier to tell what the situation is and what type of intervention is needed.
If you are ready to learn about how to tell if a teenager is on drugs, grab your computer and let’s get started!
PRO TIP: Read this great article first and learn exactly how you get federal drug charges.
Noticing Changes In Normal Behavior And Habits
One of the biggest sets of changes that point to someone being on drugs is changes to their normal behavior and habits. These tend to be some of the first changes you will see in a teen on drugs. Not all of these changes will occur in every teenager, however. That is why you will want to keep an eye out for all of them.
It is also important to remember some of the things on this list could be caused by other things. Sometimes when a teenager is having changes in behavior, it is from a different source. Always keep that in mind instead of jumping to conclusions. It will save both you and the teenager a lot of trouble in the long run.
- The teenager has an increased appetite or new cravings. This can be kind of vague at times and sometimes points towards an eating disorder. You may need to take your teenager to a doctor just to check.
- The teenager is no longer eating. Once again, this can also be a sign of an eating disorder. Always check with your doctor first when noticing your child is no longer eating much.
- They have changed friend groups. This can be a sign, especially if no longer hanging out with people they used to be close to. Instead, they might be hanging out with those considered to be “bad” kids.
- Teachers from their classes are complaining about them misbehaving. If your teenager is typically well behaved, this can be an early warning sign. Always pay attention to how your teenager is behaving in class.
- If your teenager normally gets good grades, but they are slipping, that can be a sign of drug use. Always try to see if there could be another reason, though. If your child normally gets bad grades and is doing even worse, drugs may be a reason for it.
PRO TIP: Read this article to learn how to choose the best criminal defense attorney! We know it’ll be super helpful.
Changes In Their Physical Appearance
Another big way to tell if your teenager is on drugs is if there is a change in their physical appearance. However, just because the teen’s appearance is changing does not mean drugs. Many times it is not drugs and something else entirely. Because of this, always ensure you are checking with your doctor first. This helps to rule out other possibilities.
Here are some of the main physical changes you should be looking for. Your teenager may show some of these or none of them at all. Always remember, these signs do not always mean drugs.
- Your teenager has bloodshot eyes. This tends to be one of the biggest physical signs of drug usage.
- There are unexplained bruises, wounds, or track marks on the arms of the teenager. This can be a sign of drug usage requiring needles or other hard drugs.
- The teenager had begun to wear long sleeves when they used to wear short sleeves. This is also a major sign if they are doing it during hot weather.
- They have flushed cheeks for no apparent reason. Sometimes this can just be from natural causes, however. It can also be a sign of sickness. If your teenager has flushed cheeks, you should first take them to the doctor.
- Their personal hygiene begins to fall by the wayside. This is not always a sign of drugs amongst teenagers since they are not often known for their hygiene. If your teenager, though, is usually hygienic, this can be a sign of drug usage.
- Your teenager was suffering from shakes or tremors when they weren’t before. If your teenager starts suffering from the shakes for no reason, have them checked by a doctor. There may be a health problem, or they may be on drugs.
- They suffer from nosebleeds for no discernable reason. While this can be a sign of a blood disease, it is also a sign of drug usage.
PRO TIP: Read this amazing article to learn what to do if your child is arrested! We really hope it helps you out!
Figuring out if your teenager is on drugs can be a really hard task. However, it’s crucial to figure out what’s going on in your teen’s life before he or she gets hurt, before someone else gets hurt or before the situation gets out of hand. Drug possession charges and drug arrests are surprisingly common among young adults. Getting your facts straight before you need to hire an attorney is the best thing to do.
Drugs abuse and alcoholism can wreak havoc on your teens life. A few small infractions can end up determining the path for his or her life and not always in a good way. For this reason it’s crucial to consult with the right professionals whether that be medical providers, drug treatment centers and criminal defense attorneys near you. In doing so, you will find the best solution to your teens drug problems.
No one wants to believe their teenager is on drugs. Always try to see the early warning signs, so you do not have to worry about missing your teenager doing drugs. You now know how to tell if a teenager is on drugs.