Do I Need A Lawyer? Here’s What You Need To Know!
Wondering “Do I need a lawyer?”… This post will explain everything you need to know regarding this sensitive subject.
Some People Are Lucky Throughout Their Life
Some people go through life without getting themselves in trouble with the law. Avoiding these run-ins are more by luck than anything. We all make mistakes in life, and sometimes so does law enforcement. Sometime during your adult life, you may find yourself charged with a crime. The question many people ask is; Do I need a lawyer?
The conclusive answer is yes. In this article, we will discuss the different types of law violations that one can experience in a lifetime and why you need a lawyer if charged with one.
Expect A Better Outcome With A Lawyer
Crimes Involving Intoxication
One of the most common categories people find themselves in trouble for are crimes that involve alcohol. The night starts well enough. A friend asks you to join them to celebrate a birthday, or maybe you attend a Christmas party where the alcohol is flowing. There is no crime for drinking, as long as you meet the age requirements, but there are laws in place for what you can’t do while intoxicated.
- DUI: At the beginning of the night, you never expected to drive while under the influence, but one bad decision later, you find yourself charged with a DUI. Now facing license suspension, court fees, fines, and possibly jail time, your life could take a turn for the worse. This is when hiring a lawyer is a must.
- Public Intoxication: Although usually a minimal misdemeanor, this charge happens when you find yourself intoxicated and in public. If law enforcement believes you are a danger to yourself or others, you could find yourself charged with this crime.
Although most people will not receive severe repercussions from this charge, many jobs do not allow you to have even a public intoxication conviction. If you find yourself in this situation, a lawyer must keep you from having this on your criminal record as a conviction.
Assault or Domestic Violence
Even being convicted of the lowest misdemeanor for assault, and especially domestic violence, will have a dramatic impact on someone’s life. An assault, no matter how minor you consider it, could show up on criminal history checks when pulled over by the police or during the job interview process.
Domestic violence charges can have severe effects on your life as this type of charge comes with several restrictions imposed upon you. For both assault or domestic violence charges, an attorney should be hired before making any agreements with prosecutors.
It is sometimes hard to know what local laws and restrictions are in place from state to state and city to city. This is particularly true when it comes to gun laws. Since it is up to you to know all local laws before carrying a gun into an area, many people find themselves charged with a gun violation. Your best bet is to know the local law and abide by them, but if you find yourself charged, seek out a lawyer immediately for hire.
Why You Should Always Hire an Attorney
Keeping the above examples in mind, if you find yourself charged with one of them or any other crime for that matter, hire an attorney to represent you. Even if you think it is “no big deal”, a prosecutor’s job is to find you guilty and have you punished. If you do not have someone to protect your rights when you step into court, you could find yourself receiving the harshest punishment for the charge.
A criminal defense attorney represents you in a court case and has an obligation to defend you and get the best deal possible to finalize your charge. For those who are worried about how a criminal conviction looks on your record, there are times when a lawyer is able to have your charge dismissed or worked out in a way where the conviction does not show on your record.
Those who are concerned about how much a lawyer costs will find that not hiring one may cost them more in the end. What you spend on an attorney can save you thousands of dollars in fines and fees.
Who Should I Hire?
All lawyers are not alike. Those who practice law work in several different fields. Below are some examples of what to look for in a lawyer to defend you if charged with a crime.
- Make sure the criminal defense attorney is local. Local attorneys know the court system in their area and how it works.
- Always hire a lawyer who has experience defending the type of case you are charged with. Even the best attorneys are not experts in all of the law. If charged with a DUI, make sure you have representation by someone who had defended DUIs in the past.
- Interview the attorney to make sure they are willing to fight your case in court. If they only want you to plead to the highest charge and take your money, they are probably not the best choice for you. Ask for examples of how they helped people in your past situation.
Hiring an attorney should be standard practice for anyone charged with a crime. If you find yourself in trouble for assault, DUI, domestic violence, gun charges, or others, contact an attorney today to protect your rights.
We hope we have adequately answered your question, “do I need a lawyer” and wish you luck with your case!